Strategic Flight Plan
JBL (Harmon) commissioned Golden State Warriors superstar Stephen “Steph” Curry to headline a basketball-focused TV spot and short film titled, “Listen in Color” to launch its JBL Pulse 2 Bluetooth speakers – combining signature portability, fidelity, and battery life with a multicolored, synchronized 360o lightshow. Debuting on Christmas Day, the spot was highlighted by a soundtrack from NBA baller-turned-rapper Damian Lillard (aka Dame D.O.L.L.A.) who used the platform to connect to the larger social justice movement prompted by recent events in Ferguson, Mo.
Sensing the opportunity to link to (and even help shape) a larger story, a Rocketeer-assisted team championed the development of a full-length music video for “Bigger Than Us,” featuring shots of a JBL headphone-wearing Lillard in the studio interspersed with images of civil unrest contrasted by the hope and harmony provided by his music.
To gain the widest exposure, a portion of the 4:50 music video premiered worldwide during the MLK Day broadcast of “NBA on TNT”. Building on that base, the Rocketeer PR team landed an exclusive MLK Day story on the cover of the USA Today Sports plus hundreds of top-tier print and online media outlets – along with music, sports and lifestyle blogs, podcasts, social and streaming platforms to push impressions, video views and ad equivalency into the hundreds of millions.
- World-premiere– featuring an introduction by Charles Barkley and others.
- USA Today Sports Page 1 lead story on MLK Day with an interview of Damian Lillard.
- Music video posts, reviews and commentaries on top sports, music and lifestyle outlets including NBA.com, ESPN.com, NBC Sports, CBS Sports, Yahoo Sports, The Bleacher Report, The Source, The Ringer, Hip Hop Spirit, Ball is Life and hundreds of others.
- An estimated 550 million impressions and 10 million video views to-date, resulting in an advertising equivalency of more than $5 million.
- 30+ separate product reviews of the JBL Pulse 2 Bluetooth speakers – and the eventual expansion of the JBL Pulse line to include Pulse 3 and Pulse 4 product extensions.